Just a day on the Pier - Oceanside, CA

Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Daddy and Me



When I was first married to my husband I think he only owned 2 pairs of shoes. Some shoes for church on Sunday and a pair of old VANS Skater shoes - black. My old job had me traveling all over the globe and sightseeing comes hand-in-hand with traveling. I've decided there are two types of travelers when it comes to shoe-wear. Those who feel it's important to look good and fit in with the culture that throw any form of comfort out the window purely for looks and those who wear shoes for comfort and support. I fit into the later of that group; my sister however would fall into the former (just ask her how many blisters she's gotten!).

I love, LOVE tennis shoes -- especially the good quality running shoes. I go through about a pair a year. I guess my dad got me hooked on running shoes back when I was on the track and field team in high school and college. Anyways, when my husband first moved out to VA he didn't have a job and was using the gym at our condo to work out. He insisted that his VANS were fine and that they'd do the job. I said we could go out and buy some new shoes if he'd like and again, he insisted his VANS were fine. Fast forward 2 years and a trip to Australia and New Zealand. I bought my husband a fine pair of ASICS. They're a fantastic running shoe. The first thing he noticed was that his feet could breathe. I can't tell you how many times he'd put them on and he'd remind me how he could feel the wind through his shoes up at the tips of his toes. LOL. Brian still has his "first" pair of running shoes, but they're not nice and new looking anymore. For Christmas last year, my dad gave his usual gift to me -- a new pair of running shoes and it looks like Brian has been added to the tradition. He received a new pair of ASICS too. He now refers to his old pair as shoes as "rain or bad weather shoes" and his new ones as "good weather" sneakers. He wore them for the first time today and so I figured it would be a good day to see if Aubrey's first pair of tennis shoes would fit. My $1 pair of NIKE baby shoes that I got at a yard sale last year. I love saving on baby items!!! So here's to new shoes and new beginnings!

My mother-in-law gave Aubrey this really cute outfit for Valentine's Day and her first pair of jeans. The outfit is so cute. I really loved the heart pockets too. Thank you for the cute outfit GG (Grandma Garside) :)



2 comments:

  1. Hey. I don't get blisters. It's possible to have comfortable shoes that look good... my Docs are awesome. And I have a new pair of Sketchers Active that I got for this next trip. And I'm totally taking my Asics. They're the best! (although this pair is almost worn out.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL; Yes you have. Maybe you weren't wearing your Docs though -- I'm thinking Orlando and flip flops....

    ReplyDelete